Optimising a website for the healthcare industry involves following the same key principles that are required for improving the online visibility of a website in any industry. This includes implementing strategies that improve search engine visibility, user experience, and trustworthiness.
Here, we take a closer look at some key steps that you must follow to successfully optimise a healthcare website.
Conduct Keyword Research: One of the initial priorities that you need to do is identify the relevant keywords and phrases that your target audience is likely to search for when looking for healthcare-related information or services. We recommend that you use tools like Google Keyword Planner, SEMrush, or Moz to find valuable keywords.
Create High-Quality Content: With your keyword research in mind, it is important that you develop informative, accurate, and engaging content that caters to the needs and interests of your target audience. This includes writing unique articles and blog posts, creating videos and infographics, and making use of interactive tools. From an SEO perspective, we recommend that you focus on addressing common health concerns, providing educational resources, and showcasing your expertise in these areas.
Optimise On-Page SEO Elements: On-site SEO, also known as on-page SEO, refers to the optimisation techniques implemented directly on your website to improve its search engine visibility and rankings. Without effective on-site SEO, most websites would fail to achieve organic success on Google and the other leading search engines.
The process involves optimising various elements and factors within your website’s pages to make them more relevant, user-friendly, and search engine-friendly, including:
- Title Tags and Meta Descriptions: Optimise page titles (up to 70 characters) and meta descriptions (up to 160 characters) to accurately describe the content and include relevant keywords.
- Header Tags: Use H1, H2, and H3 tags to structure your content, making it more readable and search engine-friendly.
- URL Structure: Create user-friendly URLs that include descriptive keywords and avoid excessive parameters or numbers.
- Keyword Placement: Include relevant keywords naturally throughout your content, including in headings, subheadings, and within the body text.
Mobile Optimisation: More people now access websites via their mobile devices than on desktop computers. This makes it essential that your website is fully optimised for mobile devices, such as phones and tablets. We recommend that you use responsive design principles to provide a seamless experience across different screen sizes.
Enhance User Experience: Once a visitor has entered your website, it is essential that you are provided with a high-end experience. Failing to offer this will lead to a high bounce rate and a low conversion rate. Something that we all want to avoid, if possible.
Some of the best ways to avoid this happening include offering your visitors:
- Clear Navigation: Simplify website navigation to help users find information quickly and easily. We advise that you look to use intuitive menus, dropdowns, and search functionality.
- Call-to-Action (CTA): Include clear and prominent CTAs to guide users to take desired actions. This includes making appointments, contacting your clinic, or subscribing to newsletters.
- Testimonials and Reviews: Showcase positive patient testimonials and reviews to build trust and credibility. Websites that fail to show testimonials and reviews appear less trustworthy. As a result, they fail to receive as many conversions as more ‘trusted’ websites.
- HIPAA Compliance: If you collect patient data or offer online services, ensure compliance with relevant privacy and security regulations such as the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
Build Backlinks: Earn high-quality backlinks from reputable and relevant websites to improve your site’s authority and rankings. Seek partnerships with local organisations, collaborate with influencers, and create shareable content to attract backlinks naturally.
Gaining a handful of high value backlinks is a far more effective SEO strategy than gaining hundreds of low-quality links. Remember, it is quality over quantity every single time.
Local SEO Optimisation: Local optimisation, also known as local SEO refers to the process of optimising a website or online presence to improve its visibility and rankings in local search results. This can be achieved in a number of ways, including the key areas listed below:
- Google My Business: If you haven’t already, we strongly advise that you claim and optimise your Google My Business listing to appear in local search results. Once done, you should then add accurate business information, reviews, and opening hours to make your listing as detailed and informative as possible.
- Local Directories: Submit your website to reputable healthcare directories and local business listings to improve visibility in local searches.
Monitor and Analyse: We regularly track website performance by using SEO focused tools like Google Analytics, Moz, and SEMRush. Within these tools, we are able to monitor metrics to identify areas for future organic ranking improvement.
Remember that optimising a healthcare website is an ongoing process. Stay updated with the latest industry trends, search engine algorithm updates, and user preferences to adapt your strategies accordingly.
Who are we?
Jump 2 IT Media is an award-winning digital marketing agency in Derby. We have extensive experience working with clients in the healthcare industry. This includes private hospitals, addiction and mental health clinics, paediatric consultants, podiatrists, and more.
Contact us today on 0845 582 3545 to find out how we can help you. Alternatively, you can enquire via our website today.